[pianotech] Steinway Leg repair

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 06:58:51 MDT 2009

>>    The Steinway legs are assembled with a large, (approx. 1 1/4
>> inch) dowel between the leg and the plinth,(top part).

Hi Ed. I'm obviously bored today - I hope you can bear with me
scrutinizing all these posts. What do you mean by the "top part". A
plinth is a base of a cabinet. Are you talking about the top of the
leg - Phil's leg is loose at the bottom.

>> The dowel will have a wedge driven down into a slot, expanding the
>> dowel in the hole of the plinth. You will usually damage the parts
>> if the wedge is not removed prior to disassembly.

Makes sense - just like the dowels in many/most lyres.

>>     The most effective repair is to drill out the wedge with a
>> series of small, (1/8") holes, and then hammer the dowel and leg
>> out of the socket.

You loose me here. I'm presuming the leg is secured into the bottom of
the keybed at the top and into the "foot" of the cabinet at the bottom
of the leg. (Is there a better term for the horizontal forward
extension on the base of a piano into which the base of a front leg is
secured - like on most old uprights?) You say to hammer the leg out of
the socket - are you saying to remove the leg at the top also?

>> Use another hardwood dowel to do this so that you don't damage the
>> original.
>>    Clean out the slot, removing all traces of the wedge,and cut a
>> new wedge to fit.  Make sure there is no glue left on the bottom
>> "shelf" of the leg, so that upon refitting there is no gap.
>> Assemble with plenty of wood glue,(Tite-Bond is enough), on the
>> surfaces of the dowel and some on the shelf.

Yup. Sounds good.

>> MAKE SURE YOU ARE GLUING BACK IN THE SAME DIRECTION!

Gluing what back in what same direction?

>>    Once the pieces are fitted together very snugly, (it doesn't
>> hurt to use a pair of bar clamps to insure the joint is fully
>> closed),  hammer the wedge in with more glue.

Sounds good.

>> If cut properly, the wedge will be below surface so the plate will
>> fit as originally intended and the plates will mesh properly.

Below the surface of what? The dowel - correct? "So the plate..." what
plate? What plates meshing? The piano plate? The plate for the caster?
Meshing? Totally lost here.

It could well be that my mind is just completely fried - I'm home sick
today. Sorry if I ask too many questions. Thanks for any clarification
you can offer.

Terry Farrell