[pianotech] Steinway Leg repair

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 15 07:45:57 MDT 2009

Terry:

                I think you're misunderstanding where the problem lies.  The
part of the leg assembly that attaches to the keybed is drilled with a large
hole.  The actual leg (vertical part) has either a dowel or is turned on a
lathe to make a dowel-like plug on the end to fit the drilled hole.  The
dowel has a slot cut along its length for a wedge.  The lower part of the
leg, as you describe, isn't "loose" in itself, but the joint (dowel in the
hole) is.  It is quite common for this joint to fail, as I have repaired
many of them.  I have  seen legs to poorly made that there is a huge gap
between the hole and the dowel, and no wedge is going to spread the dowel
anywhere near enough.  The fit between the hole and the dowel should not be
loose, or the joint will eventually fail because there will be movement at
the bottom of the dowel as it enters the leg.  Normally I use epoxy to
repair these because normal wood glues aren't suited well when the two wood
surfaces have gaps, as is the case here.  In addition, getting rid of the
old glue in there is troublesome, and if you don't remove it, new wood glue
won't adhere properly and the  joint will eventually fail.

                My $.02.

                Paul McCloud

                 San Dieg0