[pianotech] Swine flu "prevention"?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Sep 15 19:24:54 MDT 2009

On 9/15/09, Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu> wrote:

> All,
>
> The Dean at Snow College just asked if there is anything that can be sprayed
> on the piano keys to kill germs and avoid passing swine flu around. Any
> thoughts? I guess it's good they asked me, before hosing down the pianos
> with Lysol...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Busby
> BYU and Snow College

This is what's happening here as sent out to the music dept
============
A note from Joyce H., J-N custodian
Joyce has bottles of hand sanitizer given to her by Custodial
Services.  If you would like a bottle for your office, please put a
note in her mail box.

A note from Conrad Hoffsommer, piano technician
Due to the possibility of damage to the finish on the pianos, it is
suggested that if you are using hand sanitizer you apply it at
distance from the piano.   Although good to kill germs, it is not good
to kill the finish on the pianos, which it will, if dripped or
splashed onto the wood.  Also if you are using hand sanitizer, be sure
your hands are dry before playing the piano (accompanists too).

Also - do not apply hand sanitizer or spray any disinfectant directly
on your keyboard.

Thank you for you help!

We have an older Baldwin R with a LOT of water splash on fall and
music shelf damage from the snapping shut of the cap whilst seated at
the keyboard, hence the "distance from" advice.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
Luther College, 700 College Dr.,