[pianotech] I have a couple of questions

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 22:06:21 MDT 2009

Marshall Gisondi wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I have two questions. First, I've been tuning a lot lately and my left
> wrist is killingme.  I know one can get something to hit the keys, but
> my problem is doing the octaves.  Is there something I can get to wear
> that will end the agony?

After a lot of years, my left thumb (third joint, at the
wrist) got to be a real nuisance. I finally played around with
position, spread, angle, finger combinations, and anything I
could think of, and eventually got around it. Now, I can do
the 25 a week crunch periods as they happen without losing the
thumb. The deceptive thing is that you might find the ideal
positioning and not realize it if the joint still hurts from
the previous less than ideal positions. I'd recommend
exhausting all the position and attack vector options before
resorting to prosthetics. It takes some time, so bear with.
Ron N