[pianotech] Tuning Pin Replacement AFTER CA Glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 22 22:07:44 MDT 2009

John, Jim,
The whole point of double drilling is to eliminate almost all
of the speed/feed/cooling angst of how we were taught it MUST
be done, and to produce a statistically more uniform and
superior hole in the process of expending much less care and
personal trauma in the process. I can't imagine how anyone
could defend the old way in the face of superior results
gotten with a vastly less touchy and anal approach. Maybe it's
like Jim said, that they can feel all warm that they got THAT
CLOSE to getting a decent pin fit this time - at last! Maybe a
new state of the art drill press and $100 Titanium bits will
finally put them in the winners circle? Don't you hold your
nose and get the medicine down as quickly as possible, so it
can do you some good? Why are people so insistent on defending
and savoring the misery? There's plenty of that to go around
that's still unavoidable.
Ron N