[pianotech] soundboard glue down

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 08:47:31 MDT 2010

Yes, but I glue the board down as a one piece and don't have any problems as
do any number of piano builders who use large bass cutoff bars (Bosendorfer
comes to mind).  The amount of flexing also depends on the rib radii you are
using.  Clamping is easier if you separate the panel along the cutoff but
I've found a method which is pretty easy involving a beam across that
section held in place by clamps with a space between the beam and the panel
into which you drive wedges from both sides to force the panel down to the
cut off.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com