[pianotech] pin block inserts

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 1 13:36:32 MDT 2010

That's a 6'4" 1890s Knabe I did a few years ago. Del did the design
for me. This is the one that has a 6-inch by 8-inch solid white ash
(think baseball bat) belly rail. Del didn't think we needed to beef up
the belly rail in the treble!  ;-)

I used a nice piece of birdseye maple to cover the seam. I like how it
came out, but I like how Ron Overs did his piano that he brought to
Rochester a few years back. I don't have a photo of his work but it
was much like what I did on this M&H upright some years ago. The
cutoff in the lower right is the original cutoff with the original
spruce on it. The cutoff in the upper right is some junk cypress (left
over from building a floating turtle sunbathing platform). I basically
just got the two edges (cyrpess and sitka panel) close, and then took
my Bill Spurlock soundboard shimming tools and routed out a "v" and
glued in a dark cedar shim. I think Ron had spruce on either side
(panel and cutoff) and some sort of dark wood (cedar, maybe mahogany -
I don't remember) contrasting wood. Looked real nice - more-or-less
like in the picture below. Ron had a nicely curved cutoff, and hence
his shim was in one, very pleasing to the eye, sweeping curve. I liked
it!

Terry Farrell

Oh...... Pinblock inserts here also!