[pianotech] A better tip wrench that you already have!

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 22:52:32 MDT 2010

I love my Levitan tuning lever that I purchased from pianotek last year.
Nearly as stiff and light as a Fujan, but less weird looking and only $135.
The only kicker is that the head is welded to the shaft for extra rigidity,
thus I can't switch tips simply by switching heads like I used to on my old
lever. So I had to go back to using a tip wrench. Well, one day to my
chagrin  I left it in my shop and needed to switch tips in the field.
Neccesity, being the mother of invention, stimulated my creativity. I
discovered that  the large flat blade screwdriver that fits in a tuning
wrench for tightening plate screws used with a small crescent wrench works
beautifully! Now I don't need to carry the tip wrench at all, saving several
ounces in my kit!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter