[pianotech] Soundboard rise/fall theory

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 10:41:24 MDT 2010

William said:
 "This may be the way we've been explaining it for eons, but this theory is
certainly in question. Read Ron N.'s article in the April 2006 Journal
which speaks directly to this. More, I believe it was Ric Brekne who wrote
an article some time back which addressed the concept of pitch change due to
soundboard crown increasing. When he isolated the one variable of rise and
fall of the soundboard, it was pretty quickly apparent that the amount of
soundboard rise required to affect a significant pitch change was absurdly
large. The math just doesn't support the theory that soundboard rise and
fall is responsible for major pitch changes. It is involved to be sure, but
is likely not even the major factor. Lot's to chew on, and I apologize in
advance if I've referenced the wrong author."

William,
It's not just the soundboard that swells in a higher moisture situation. The entire piano swells, which puts stress on the plate and the rest of the sound producing body(s). That's the way I tend to envision it. There must have been some experiments done by manufacturers some where? Anyone?
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I