[pianotech] Soundboard rise/fall theory

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 10:20:41 MDT 2010

I tune quite a few p22s in schools. They go out of tune in a very specific
pattern. One interesting phenomonon is that leading up to the treble break
the pitch sometimes will get flatter and flatter, the flattest note being
the last one before the break. The very next note will be quite sharp. The
sharpness then will taper off over the next several notes. Depending on the
time of year, it can be the opposite with notes getting sharper leading up
to the break and then suddenly dropping in pitch.

This tells me that: 1. This can't possible have to do with soundboard
rise/fall.  2. There is some sort of twist happening in the structure, with
the pivot being at the treble strut. How else could flat notes be right next
to sharp notes?

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT