[pianotech] Grey market pianos.....etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 21:16:59 MDT 2010

Ryan,
Are you talking about PScale?? If you have that or something like it, you can do the real math.<G> There's probably an easier way to do this, but here's how I did it. I did a scale evaluation with a pitch standard of @A=435cps. (20cents flat of A=440cps). Added all of the tensions of all of the strings, (yes I did the times two for the bi-chords and times three for the tri-chords). Then I changed the pitch parameter to A=440cps. Added all of the tensions of all of the strings and subtracted the first number from the second number. I got just slightly over 500 pounds additional tension...OVER ALL! So, IMHO, a 20 cent pitch raise is pretty common and quite doable. Now, I should say, the whole tension thing is logrythmic! in relation to where you start from and where you are going. If you were to raise pitch a whole tone it is a whole lot more than if you are just doing half tone and that's a whole lot more than just a quarter tone pitch raise and then we get to the criteria I use for declaring that I have to do a pitch raised...that's 5 cents. Anything more than that, I do a pitch raise pass before doing a fine tuning. Am I adding a lot of tension doing a 5cent pitch raise? I'm adding something, but it is of little consequence except that it does torque the plate/case structure in the process....and that's really what we were talking about in the first place.
BTW, I'd like to send this on to the list, as I think this info that some really need/want. (hopefully<G>) I'll let you do it, if you feel o.k. with it.<g>

Best Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police