[pianotech] Grey market pianos.....etc.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Apr 2 21:20:43 MDT 2010

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Ryan,
> Are you talking about PScale?? If you have that or something like it,
> you can do the real math.<G> There's probably an easier way to do this,
> but here's how I did it. I did a scale evaluation with a pitch standard
> of @A=435cps. (20cents flat of A=440cps). Added all of the tensions of
> all of the strings, (yes I did the times two for the bi-chords and times
> three for the tri-chords). Then I changed the pitch parameter to
> A=440cps. Added all of the tensions of all of the strings and subtracted
> the first number from the second number.

I long ago defined the variable "fork", from which pitch is
derived for each note, so I could get an easy and near instant
total tension with pitch adjustments.

>I got just slightly over 500
> pounds additional tension...OVER ALL!

I got 858 lbs on a Yamaha studio, and 1041 lbs on a S$S D.

>If you were to raise pitch a whole tone it is a whole lot
> more than if you are just doing half tone and that's a whole lot more
> than just a quarter tone p itch raise

Uh, yea.

>and then we get to the criteria I
> use for declaring that I have to do a pitch raised...that's 5 cents.
> Anything more than that, I do a pitch raise pass before doing a fine
> tuning. Am I adding a lot of tension doing a 5cent pitch raise? I'm
> adding something, but it is of little consequence except that it does
> torque the plate/case structure in the process....and that's really what
> we were talking about in the first place.

I'm forever amazed that you guys can charge an extra pitch
raise pass for a 5 cent difference. Here, if you can't produce
a functional (DEEPLY subjective!!!) tuning in one pass from
fifteen cents out, you're off the list.

> BTW, I'd like to send this on to the list, as I think this info that
> some really need/want. (hopefully<G>) I'll let you do it, if you feel
> o.k. with it.<g>

No sweat, you already have. <G>

Ron N