[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 3 08:55:06 MDT 2010

Gerald Groot wrote:
> I have read what has already been written in this thread, currently.  Ron,
> I'm not going to sift through the archives.  The dissusion has been and
> still is being presented now.  I'm merely adding to it as you are giving my
> current thoughts on the matter again, as you are.
>
> Have YOU had the time to do all of these measurements yourself?  If so, I
> don't know how you managed to find it let alone have the patience for it.  I
> haven't nor do I have the desire to do so.  Taking measurements is not the
> only proof available.  When does logic and common sense ever come into play
> here?

It comes into play immediately when you find how much a
soundboard has to move to produce the required tension
changes. Yes, I've taken a whole lot of time trying to learn
how things actually work, rather than assuming that what I was
taught was correct. It used to be common sense that horse
hairs in the rain barrel turned into worms. I take the time
because I'm interested in learning something real.

Ron N