[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 13:32:03 MDT 2010

Don 't know about the bowing as not having the before measurements and not
having glued up these laminated blocks myself I can't say what happened
there.  Blocks do arrive with some bowing sometimes and a small bit of
bowing is not that big a deal as once you tighten the pin block screws it
will pull the block snug to the plate.  I try to keep that to a minimum, of
course, and 10 mm seems like a fair amount but others may comment on this.
I've never really tested the limits of what can be done there.  On shimming
the board up at the ends to achieve the required plate height, there's
nothing wrong with doing that, I do it all the time.  It's a hell of lot
easier than planning down the entire block and certainly more acceptable
than taking material off the inner rim and lowering the bottom of the block
below the level of the stretcher.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com