[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Apr 4 15:18:30 MDT 2010

You could simply resaw the capped block in half, flip the bottom over
(top to bottom), clamp it together and see if that straightens things
out. If it does look better, just glue it back together (I recommend
either epoxy or two-part urea-formaldehyde). And even if it doesn't
straighten it out perfectly, you can try again (only hopefully better
this time!) to induce a little counter-bend to it that makes it end up
straight. Will only cost you a little adhesive. And like David Love
pointed out, the small loss of thickness from the saw kerf, you can
make up with shims - or if you want that full thickness, simply
laminate a layer or maple (or really any hardwood) to the bottom of
the block to make up the full thickness.

And if you end up screwing it up again, resaw the darn thing again and
glue it back up!

No problems mate! No reason to buy a new pinblock!!!

Terry Farrell