[pianotech] Pinblock expensive experiment

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 17:17:14 MDT 2010

Hybrid blocks are not balanced panels, and guaranteed to bow, twist, or
whatever.  Not that it matters, being secured to a cast iron plate.  If it
were a component of a totally wooden structure, a balanced panel would be
very important, the ply thicknesses, species, and grain orientations being
symmetrical about a center ply.  This would be an absolute requirement in
most wood structures, but not so much in pinblocks, where the cast iron
provides the required structural integrity.  Fit it, clamp it, screw it to
the plate, and don't worry about it.

Frank Emerson