[pianotech] Articles on Schaff website

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 05:36:28 MDT 2010

Hi List - For those of you who haven't had a chance to visit the new Schaff
website, I would like to invite you to explore the site, and to take a look
at a series of articles that I'm doing for them.

To get there type in schaffpiano, do a web search, and hit Schaff Piano
Supply - Products that will come up. Once on there, go to webstore on the
menu bar (you'll need a Login ID and Password, which you can e-mail them for
[if you have an account], if you don't have one).

Once you get to the webstore landing page, simply click on the picture under
the caption "Technical Articles" and a list of the available articles will
come up.

These are written primarily for someone starting out in the business, but
it's possible even those of you who have been at it for a while might find
something of interest.
The articles available at this point are:

Installing Music Desk Hinges
Lacquer Stick Work
Repinning an Upright
Removing Bass Strings for Duplication
Removing and Miking Treble Strings
Finishing the Cast Iron Plate
Removing Keys and Keyframe
Refelting the Keybed
Rebushing Keys
Filing Hammers
Installing Cork Bridle Straps
Hammer Butt Restoration
Regluing Loose Jack Flanges
Replacing Hammer Butt Springs
Using the Tuning Pin Crank
Using the Action Cradle
The Piano Parts Trolley
Collapsible Bench Plans - Sample Pages

Plus, a 3 part series on repinning and restringing an upright is done, and
has been turned in for editing, and will be hopefully on the site soon.

As I often stress in these articles, my methods are only presented as a
starting point for consideration. For practically any procedure, opinions
vary (anyone who has been observing the discourse on this site can
absolutely testify to that) and one should always survey various approaches
before deciding on a course of action. I just describe how I do a procedure,
what works for me, which is really all that any of us can do. Others will do
things differently.

Anyway, hopefully the list of articles will grow. I've got photo files for
another 65 write-ups, and ideas for a number more that I don't happen to
have the photos for. It's just a matter of finding the time to sit down, and
try to put some ideas together.

To those of you with far more experience than myself (and there are quite a
number of you that I would put in that category), I just ask that you go
easy on me here. I'm just trying to contribute what I can for the good of
the cause. I respect the fact that a lot of are more knowledgeable than
myself. However, all I can do is write about what I know personally. If only
those who "knew it all" were to contribute to the body of literature
available, we would be very limited indeed.

OT, wasn't that some NCAA game last night? Holy cow, what a nail-biter. When
that last shot went up, I bet there were 70,000 people holding their breath.
What a finish!

Have a great day, everyone. Chuck