[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Scott Nelson pianotuner9932 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 7 23:08:48 MDT 2010

Some time ago I inspected a Seiler grand that had beeen traded in. Overall it was in good shape, but I noticed what looked like hairline cracks around the bridge pins. Upon closer inspection, looking down the long bridge from the lower tenor end (with the lid off), I noticed the cap was horizontally laminated, possibly Delignit. Admittedly, this is an isolated example, and I know that other makers, like Schimmel, use some form of horizontal structure as well.

What was interesting was under favorable lighting conditions, you could see the horizontal lams statring to split apart and lift at many of the bridge pins, almost as if the pins were leveraging the cap apart where it was weak. I used to think that the laminated structure would be stronger, but apparently the material was yielding in this case.

Could this be an example of the Delignit bridge capping material you were referring to? If so, it would seem that your use of veneer or thinner plies with epoxy saturation would indeed be more structurally sound.

Scott Nelson