[pianotech] Promote our business = Promote THEIR business

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Fri Apr 9 07:23:23 MDT 2010

List,

I work part-time at a music store and get to read various trade
publications.  It always interests me to pick up the articles about piano
stores or other music stores that are thriving despite industry trends.  I
think after reading a lot of these articles I see one thread more common
than others.  That is:  these businesses don't just promote their sales;
they promote the instrument by supporting it's audience.  Some stores have
recital halls available for use for free with a good piano.  Most stores
have vital, active lesson programs.  Some support live music by producing
various events.  All of this is done with the goal in mind of creating
excitement about the instrument(s) and visibility for the store.

What does that have to do with us?  We, who go from living room to living
room tuning pianos?  It occurs to me that we could serve ourselves by using
the same principles.  Figure out how we as individuals, or as PTG Chapters,
or as the PTG can promote piano playing, piano lessons, piano concerts, etc.
Not simply promote our own business and wait for people to respond, you
understand, but actually promote the act of piano playing.  If we help
others in our piano-based universe (teachers, retailers, musicians, etc) we
help ourselves at the same time.

How do I propose we do this?  I'm not posting this to propose any particular
way.  I'm posting this to stimulate discussion and brainstorming about how
we possibly can.  But just to get the ball rolling, I noted recently that
the Percussion Marketing Group (I think that's what it's called) has a
program that brings assembly programs to schools at no cost to the school.
Drums excite the kids and inspire them to bug their parents to buy drums and
percussion equipment, join a band, take some lessons, etc.  Could WE get
exciting piano players into schools for assembly programs?

I live in a small town.  Helena, Montana.  We have a newspaper here that
welcomes articles from the populace.  I used to write a bi-weekly column
about music for them.  Perhaps I should revive that.

How can we actively PROMOTE the piano?  Promote piano lessons?  Work with
dealers?  Work with piano teachers?  Work with our PTG Chapters?

John Dorr, RPT

Helena, MT