[pianotech] slow business

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 17:34:56 MDT 2010

Wim,

$750?!  I have signage on my back window, and the back side windows, and it cost me about $160.  I can gestimate I have received maybe, and I mean maybe, $500 of business.  I've had the signage for almost two years now.  If every single person who I gave my business card to because they saw my car, scheduled an appointment, I would have indeed generated business in the thousands.  But in reality, when they seem interested up front, they just don't call.  You seem to have better luck with that!

Matthew

I probably paid way to much for the sign on my car. (Everything is more expensive in Hawaii). I talked with someone on the mainland who had a sign on his whole car done for less than $350.

If you got $500 worth of work, you've already come out ahead. And you've only had that sign for a couple of years. You never know who is waiting to call you. You never know. The next person you give a card to will have $3000 worth of work to do. A couple of months ago a guy saw my car and called me. I was able to go to his house immediately, just to look at his piano. It was 1930's vintage Steinway L. I made an appointment to tune the piano the next week, and also gave him an estimate for $20,000 to have the piano restored. No, I haven't got the job, but he's in real estate, and is waiting for his business to pick up. He can't be too bad off, though as his house is in a rather ritzy neighborhood, right on the beach.

Wim

$750?!  I have signage on my back window, and the back side windows, and it cost me about $160.  I can gestimate I have received maybe, and I mean maybe, $500 of business.  I've had the signage for almost two years now.  If every single person who I gave my business card to because they saw my car, scheduled an appointment, I would have indeed generated business in the thousands.  But in reality, when they seem interested up front, they just don't call.  You seem to have better luck with that!

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
(979) 248-9578
http://www.toddpianoworks.com