[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Apr 10 21:00:12 MDT 2010

You are missing my points.  A lift bed is flat enough to safely use swivel
wheeled dollies safely and consistently with PROPERLY TRAINED PROFESSIONAL
PIANO MOVERS.  It is done safely all the time every day by 99 plus percent
of all professional piano movers - who do not need the perceived security of
a straight wheeled dolly, who manage the instability easily with proper
technique.  In fact, they often do this when the truck is sitting a little
sidehill and/or downhill too. I've watched my movers do it this way for
years, presenting no problems to them.   A properly set dolly will be
balanced with either kind of dolly.  I think what you mean is leverage.

We should not mistake the sense of security that occasional piano technician
movers might feel they need for the safest and best (or only) method for
professional piano movers to use.

We can debate the kind of dolly to use, but I also detailed other examples
of improper use of equipment that indicate that these guys were fully
knowledgeable about the right tools and good technique.

Will