[pianotech] X-Ratcheting Counter Bearing Shim

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 11 19:26:13 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
> I've produced this method of counterbearing and tried inserting felt between
> the agraffes as well as not.  There doesn't seem to be any ringing if the
> felt is not inserted between the counterbearing bar and the agraffe.  I do
> insert felt on the tuning pin side even though that doesn't seem to produce
> much ringing either.  Lately, however, I tend to insert felt on both sides
> of the counterbearing bar more for looks than anything else.  It's pretty
> soft felt though and doesn't apply much if any real pressure on the strings.

Yea, I do that too, but that's different from trying to make
it work without fixing it. I've had some improvement with
Protek, but...

Jon, If you insist on trying to patch it up when it needs
redone (yea, I know) how about some small heat shrink tubing,
slit to slide under the string along the full length that it
contacts the felt. Ugly, fur shur, but it might supply the
aesthetic tipping point to a real rebuild.

<G>
Ron N