[pianotech] PIn Block Question

chip tuthill chiptuthill at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 09:24:02 MDT 2010

Hi,

I am ready to try a pin block replacement on a ~1930's  Haddorf (Krakauer) 48" upright. The existing pinblock has three different  pin lengths- 2.25", 2.5" & 3".  2/0 & 4/0 diameters as well as some metal pin bushings. The block is 3/4" 3 ply maple plywood overlaying a solid piece of 2" thick maple. I can pull some of the pins out with my fingers!

The plan: rout the existing block to receive a new laminated maple pin block. Schaff lists three different thicknesses- 1.25, 1.375, and 1.5 inches. What thickness would be best?

I was given this piano. I am using it for practice repairs. The bass bridge needs recapping as the pins there also come out by hand. It is a solid piece of maple complete with many cracks. Soundboard has no cracks, but could use refinishing. I'll restring it and then work on the action. I hope to be ready for the vertical regulation and repair section the the RPT exam when I finish this <G>!

Thanks,

Chip Tuthill
Associate member PTG
Tuthill's Piano Service