[pianotech] PIn Block Question

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 11:02:14 MDT 2010

Chip

The direct answer to your questions is to get a double panel of the 1.5" thick pin block, because you'll have to put two layers together and rout them down to 2 3/4".

Having said that, although practicing pin block replacement on an upright piano is good, why would you want to? In my 33 years, I've never done one. I've seen it done, but only on rare occasions, and then, only on a very good quality upright. 99% of the time, the cost of doing a pin block job on an upright just doesn't justify the results.

If you want to experiment with pin block replacement, try a cheap grand.

But that's just my opinion.

Wim