[pianotech] Filling in for fellow technicians

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 19:56:20 MDT 2010

Hello list,

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this topic. A while back I serviced
a piano for a piano techncian buddy of mine. He had to take a couple of
weeks off work for some medical reasons and he asked me to tune a couple of
pianos for a prestigious client. I was a bit taken aback when, after
servicing the pianos,  the client asked if I would take them on as a client.
On the fly I said that we have a policy of a 2-year waiting period before we
can take on a client in this type of situation. That seemed reasonable to
me. I encouraged the client to talk to my friend and try to work things out.

Also, the past few years around the holidays we have hired technician
friends to give us a day or 2 so that we don't have to say no to clients who
need service before Christmas but don't schedule far enough in advance. On
one occasion a client called back several months later wanting to schedule a
tuning but wanted to have the fill-in technician (this was a new client - I
had not met them yet) instead of me!

It occurred to my wife and I (who run the business together) that we should
have a written policy about this kind of thing. I'm curious to how others
have dealt with this type of situation. Your thoughts and ideas are
appreciated!
--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter