[pianotech] Photos???

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Wed Apr 14 07:59:18 MDT 2010

Joe, I'll second this recommendation.

I've suggested the same thing here to others, at least a few times.

In Gmail, if Billy sends an email, and Susie, Bobby, and Cathy all respond
to it, that thread only consumes one line in the inbox. When you (Joe)
respond to the archives/digest, apparently you change the "Subject" line to
read the same as the original poster. However, Gmail (and other similar
services) have no way of knowing that your intent is to send a RESPONSE, so
your posts show up as a separate thread entry.

Likewise, in the pianotech archives (using "sort by thread"), when you
"respond" to posts, you'll notice that you start a "new" thread. When
someone responds to your "new" thread, it gets threaded in the archives
(i.e. indented underneath your post), but then if you "respond" to that, you
start yet another "new" thread. An analogous thing occurs in threading email
clients/webmailers like my Gmail. I'm fairly certain that this threading is
what JD was referring to.

You could just try it!  Commit to trying it for, say, one month. If ya'
can't stand it, go back, but I expect you will like it.  I had been quite a
yahoo fan (before they really hosed it up) but decided to start a gmail
account just for pianotech. I liked it so well that I use it exclusively,
except for a very few holdouts that can't/won't change their address book.

You can (most likely) have your current provider forward your email to your
Gmail account, too. You can then also set up Gmail to appear to be sending
from joegarrett at earthlink.net, just as this post appears to be coming from
paul at bruesch.net, yet it's actually coming from Gmail.  Yer a smart fella,
Joe, I am confident that you can figure it out once you see the light!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN