[pianotech] business

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 09:53:02 MDT 2010

My take,

If you feel a job causes you more work (physical, mental or otherwise) and you feel inclined to charge more, do so. No one forces clients to use any one of us and if we have a distaste for a particular job, we are free to decide whether to take it or not or, whether to charge more or not. In a case like that, I would offer to my client that they may be able to find someone to do it for less, but that is my fee. Charging more, purposefully, does not equate to gouging. Charging more arbitrarily does.

 Wim, getting sore playing racqutball is totally unrelated to work. There are those that suggest that tuning a square actually is.

William R Monroe

William

I respect your opinion on this, but I totally disagree. We need to figure out what we charge per hour, and as professionals, we need to charge that fee for the work we do, regardless of what kind of work it is, or how difficult it is, mentally or physically.

When someone has a bad back, or sore arms, it doesn't make any difference how that back or arm was injured. A sore back is a sore back. It could have been injured stringing, or picking up a plate, or playing softball or racquet ball. The bottom line is, it's not the customers problem, and she/he should not have to pay for it.

WIm

If you feel a job causes you more work (physical, mental or otherwise) and you feel inclined to charge more, do so. No one forces clients to use any one of us and if we have a distaste for a particular job, we are free to decide whether to take it or not or, whether to charge more or not. In a case like that, I would offer to my client that they may be able to find someone to do it for less, but that is my fee. Charging more, purposefully, does not equate to gouging. Charging more arbitrarily does.

 Wim, getting sore playing racqutball is totally unrelated to work. There are those that suggest that tuning a square actually is.

William R Monroe

William R. Monroe, RPT
A440-William R Monroe Piano Services, Inc.
314 E. Church St.
Belleville, WI 53508
608-215-3250
www.a440piano.net