[pianotech] business

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 1 22:13:25 MDT 2010

paul bruesch wrote:
> With all the "competition" that most of us have out there, I think we
> can pretty much charge what we want. If someone is hungry enough to tune
> a square for $85, and if my back hurts just thinking about it, I'll
> gladly let the $85 tuner eat today. And if I tried to charge $200 to
> tune a "regular" piano, I'd get mighty hungry.

Yea, but you'd die proud. That's apparently worth something.

> That said, the only work I've ever turned down was either something
> that's beyond my capability (concert tuning, pinblock, etc.,)  work
> that's way far away, and one person who's quite a distance plus his
> piano is mediocre (being kind) and he's a truly bizarre in a very
> uncomfortable way. And pianos being mediocre is par for the course on my
> client list.

I've turned down a lot of work that either wasn't within my
capabilities, or implied something I couldn't deliver. I've
been as careful as I can manage to not promise something I
can't produce, which has cost me considerable work to those
that do. From an income potential stance, it's not as
profitable as promising the world and delivering the minimal,
but it's a lot more morally supportable. If starving honorably
proves to ultimately be the way to go, I'll let you know. So
far, there are still unanswered concerns.

Ron N