[pianotech] business

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 05:23:17 MDT 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 6:39 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> Non digital player pianos fall into the same category as squares for
> me. I like regulating grand dampers. I don't use clips on bridle
> straps. I don't mind tuning cheap spinets.
>
> Terry Farrell
> So should I charge extra to regulate grand dampers and tune the
> cheap spinet? When I mean extra, I mean more than my normal hourly
> rate.
>
> Wim

As you can see above, I don't charge more for tuning a cheap spinet. I
do charge a higher hourly rate for squares and non-digital players.
The higher hourly rate is pretty easy to quote over the phone. I also
tell them my tuning fee for "normal" pianos and that squares and non-
digital player pianos often take approximately 25% to 50% more time to
tune. That way they are quite well informed.

Quite simply I find these pianos a pain in the a$$ and they take more
time to tune - so I want to charge more.

Problem?

Terry Farrell