[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 2 15:58:20 MDT 2010

I've always heard that strings on a piano should be within two cents
of desired pitch prior to doing a fine tuning. I have found that to be
generally be true. Certainly if it is not for a high end concert,
pitch prior to tuning could even vary a bit more than that. However, I
have certainly found that for a truly good tuning, the piano has to be
pretty darn close prior to the tuning pass.

You (or anyone) can raise the pitch of a piano that is 100 cents flat,
each string to within two cents of target pitch, in five minutes? If
the piano is a semi-tone flat, how do you even know what the target
pitch for any given string is (to within two cents)? Believe me, my
hat if off to you if you can do it, but I don't think it is even
remotely possible. And you'd really want to make two passes in the
treble so as to not be pulling the strings 60 cents sharp!

Wait, wait....... no, this is July.........  April 1 was a long time
ago......

Terry Farrell