[pianotech] Ethics was Re: business

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 07:51:43 MDT 2010

Different cars have different flat rates for certain jobs because of varying
levels of complication as you suggest.   However if it should take 5 hours
to change a water pump and the mechanic works slowly that day and it takes
him 7, do you want to be billed the extra two hours?  I doubt it.  With
tuning a piano, however, it’s a bit different.  The time it takes to tune a
piano whether it’s a spinet or a grand doesn't generally vary that much
assuming you are at the same starting point.  That being said, I've tuned
pianos in 15 minutes because there wasn't much that was out.  Should I
charge them 1/4 my rate because it normally takes an hour?  Anyway, that's
why my appointments are based on time. You get an hour of my time for $xxx.
In that time I can tune your piano and a bit more depending on a variety of
factors.  If it's a more difficult tuning I end up with less extra time or
no extra time.  If I get there and the piano is spot on then I can spend the
time doing other things (or should I just leave and not charge them???).  I
think that's a fair system and removes this whole controversy.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com