[pianotech] pitch raising

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 08:39:26 MDT 2010

I'll state how I do it.  Mostly, these days, I tune with an EDT.  It's
easier.  I take my time and no longer do speed tunings.  I complete the
tuning within 45 minutes to an hour in most cases.

By ear, I tune using a temperament starting with C-4.  I set pitch first and
tune beginning at F-3 proceeding through the temp from F-3 to F-4.  If the
piano is 1/2 tone or more flat, I don't mute it out at all in the treble or
bass.  Only in the tenor.  I tune the center string all the way up C-8 in
octaves.  Then, from F-3 down, the center string in the tenor and the top
pin in the bass stopping at the single wires.  I tear out the tenor strip
tuning the top tuning pin from the beginning of the tenor section all the
way up through the treble.  Starting back at the tenor bass break, I tune
the bottom tuning pin continuing all the way down to A0.  Starting again on
the first note in the tenor section, I tune the bottom tuning pin all the
way up C-8.

The less often we have to remove a mute, shove something out of our way like
a scrw driver or pull on a temperament strip, the more time is saved.  In
these cases, I never take my hand off from the tuning hammer, holding it in
the same position continually, literally, slapping it from one pin to the
next pulling the 2nd it hits the pin and is on.

Some tuners start with A-4.  Some with C-4 some with A0.  Whatever works.