[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sat Jul 3 12:49:03 MDT 2010

Maybe the ETD is too sensitive.  I believe it is reading the pitch
fluctuations correctly, which is why we end up waiting for it - the pitch is
wobbling around.  The human brain is an interesting thing.  When my hand is
accurate, I can drop the pitch where I want it 1/2 second to a second faster
than the ETD.  I couldn't possibly tell you what processes are going on in
my brain that helps me get there that quick.  I suspect it has to do with  a
learned ability to hear exactly what you need with less and less information
consciously processed as you become more experienced, so that we arrive
where we need to be quickly.  When I am doing a pitch raise by octaves, it
probably takes me no more than 1/8 of a second to hear the place where the
note is dropping in, and then move on to the next one.

I don't consider myself to be unusually fast, probably about average or a
hair better.

Will Truitt