[pianotech] Getting started...

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Sun Jul 4 09:07:09 MDT 2010

If you've taken the Randy Potter course, you know from the material that
Randy advocates joining PTG as a viable way to gain insight, camaraderie and
possible work via the association with members over time. Not seeing your
name in the guild membership directory, I wonder if you have pursued that
avenue as recommended by the course? Also Randy strongly recommends that as
a part of your training you avail yourself of a mentor while completing your
studies. Did you follow that recommendation?

What information have you gleaned from attending technician meetings,
training sessions with dealers, and that national convention just past in
Las Vegas. You did attend, as recommended by Randy's course?

What exactly have you done to prepare yourself for operating a business as a
piano technician, other than, we assume, learning the rudiments of tuning?

Not trying to be sarcastic or demeaning here; we'd just like to know more
about your preparation, training and efforts to pursue a business in piano
technology.

Have you really completed the business segment of the Randy Potter course
and followed through with the many suggestions for business building?

On the basis of the information you give, it sounds as though you are
ill-prepared to "jump start" any business endeavor. Please enlighten us
further and I'm sure we can provide you more specific ideas to help you.
Before we can give you concrete suggestions, it would be helpful to
eliminate, from our prospective, the ideas and efforts you have already
tried.

Sincerely,

Joseph Alkana RPT (Retired)

  _____