[pianotech] Getting started...

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 13:37:26 MDT 2010

Good to hear from you Joe!! Excellent post!

Starting a piano service business is certainly not a "Get Rich Quick!"
scheme by any measure. Putting out some advertising and waiting for the
business to come in is pretty ineffective. Here is my list of ideas:

Join PTG and attend monthly meetings and annual seminars religiously.
Volunteer to help - (bringing yummy snacks to the meetings will endure you
to all!).
Pass the RPT exams as soon as possible. After that run for chapter office.
Dress professionally. Wear slacks, a nice shirt and tie, carry altoids at
all times, Have a nice looking tool kit full of pretty, shiny implements.
Make sure to develop personal traits that will help you suceed. If necessary
get coaching.
Try to affiliate yourself with reputable piano dealers, and develop positive
relationships with them.
Join the Local Music Teachers Association and attend their monthly meetings.
Offer to do a program for them. Donate tunings for annual adjudications.
Anything you can do to get in with the teachers is worth its weight in
gold!!
Contact every church in your town directly. Churches are community centers
and a link to lots of clients.
I have a friend who literally went door to door when he first arrived in
town. Hang door hanger advertisements on every possible residence within a 2
mile radius of where you live.
Develop positive relationships with other reputable piano technicians. Get
good at doing grunt work in their shops. If you can help them make money
they will love you! Be very sensitive if you are costing them more than you
are worth.
Do your homework! Read the classics: Guerrilla Marketing, Marketing Without
Advertising, How to Win Friends and Influence People, etc.
Always have your own project piano to work on. Fix it up, sell it, and get
another one.
Make sure your business card, invoices, and stationary are professional. I
hate chintzy business cards!!
Make sure you can play at least one good piano tune. It doesn't have to
be Rachmaninoff -just something pretty to show off the tuning.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter