[pianotech] Getting started...

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Jul 4 18:13:25 MDT 2010

The one thing I wish I could have done when I got started, was to work for a dealer.  I didn't work for a dealer (although we were a very small dealer ourselves) until I moved from Santa Cruz, CA to Portland, OR.

Since then I have worked for three of the dealers in town (including being part of the largest going-out-of-business sale ever), and have learned so much.  I have had opportunities to tune in more venues, to tune a greater variety of pianos, to tune more high-end instruments, have had to learn to tune faster, and it goes on and on..

I would highly recommend tuning for stores, especially at the beginning of your career, but also, even near the end, I'm glad I had the opportunity.

Diane Hofstetter