[pianotech] New Classes for the 2011 PTG Institute in Kansas City

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:34:29 MDT 2010

Hello piano technology aficionados!

We have already hit the ground running and are starting to gather classes
for the 2011 Conference & Technical Institute. This year Marc Poulin has
decided to stir things up by attempting to create an institute of ALL NEW
CLASSES. The classes should meet one of the following criteria:

1. A new class or instructor that has never been offered before.
2. A class that has been taught at the chapter or regional level but never
at an annual event.
3. A class that is so old that it will SEEM like a brand new class!
*
*
I started a similar discussion on Pianoworld and already the ideas are
coming in! However, instead of just ideas it would also be very helpful to
know who is willing to actually teach, so recommendations are very helpful.
OR volunteer to teach yourself! We can't put every class we receive on the
schedule, but we will carefully review each one and try to plan
a balanced schedule. If it doesn't work out for this year, perhaps next
year.

One good class idea that received some enthusiasm on Pianoworld was a
class about
chemicals that are commonly used in the piano trade - their toxicity and
safe handling. Also understanding how different types of lubricants work.
This could be a sort of "chemistry 101" for piano technicians. The problem
is  I don't know who would teach it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Assistant Director