[pianotech] WNG Parts Question(s)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 07:37:35 MDT 2010

I am curious what is required to remove the hammers from these shanks and
what the problems are.

I don't want to get into the original Steinway versus aftermarket argument
as it's been rehashed too many times already on the list but I do understand
the dealer perspective.  They don't like to have to get involved with
lengthy explanations about non Steinway parts or approaches.  Personally, I
don't think using Renner parts creates that problem because there is a
history of NYS using Renner parts on their pianos out of the factory and
because of the use of Renner parts on Hamburg Steinway pianos.  But most
customers buying pianos can't tell the difference in performance between one
part or another so for the dealers it just creates more potential problems
and complicates things for them.  If I know I'm going to consign a piano
that I'm rebuilding to a dealer I probably approach it a bit differently
than one in which I might consider all the bells and whistles for a private
customer--certainly with belly work.  While I'm all for exploring and
utilizing new technologies there is a practical side that needs to be
considered.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

 “Removing hammers, with a hollow tube for a shank, would be pretty much
impossible.”  Should I assume from that remark that the gold standard by
which you judge  new parts is whether or not you have a tool in your kit
that you c an use with it?

“Not recommended for any resale situation, per most dealers I know.”  This
is a customer rebuild, and the customer knows I am using these parts.  How
large is your dealer sample on which you base your resale viability
assertion?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Will Truitt