[pianotech] Sitka spruce?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 15:55:47 MDT 2010

At 23:27 -0400 30/6/10, Terry Farrell wrote:

>Well, Sitka is preferable because it is the highest strength/weight
>ratio wood out there.

Well, to be exact, stiffness/density is the ratio in question --
"strength" could mean all sorts of things -- and if this is highest
in Sitka spruce then Sitka spruce is the best, because nothing else
is of any relevance at all, no matter what the old books say.  I
think I ought to put in a word for one or two lowly European trees as
well, though, which are probably sometimes just as good!

JD