[pianotech] Interested in work as an RPT

Dennis Quinn dquinn at ci.duncanville.tx.us
Wed Jul 7 14:37:52 MDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to get some advice on the best way to get into the field of piano tuning/maintenance/repair (including PTG membership), and Mr. Foote's recent post seemed to indicate a good time to ask in this forum.

I've played the piano for most of my life and earned a BM in Music History a few years ago. I went on to complete an MS in Library Science, and now I work full-time as a cataloger for a public library, but I'm considering the idea of a part-time side job as a freelance piano technician. I have great deal of respect for the work of RPTs, and I'd really like to be able to help pianists and piano enthusiasts keep theirs in proper working order. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to pursue a full-time training institute such as those listed on the PTG website. Would a correspondence course suffice? Are any of them more highly recommended than others? What about apprenticeship?

Also,

Please feel free to reply off-list if you wish.

Thanks,
Dennis Quinn
Dallas/Forth Worth, TX