[pianotech] Steingraeber

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 15:02:33 MDT 2010

At 21:41 -0500 6/7/10, William Monroe wrote:

>  The CF soundboard is VERY thin.  It has the appearance of CF on top
>and has a spruce veneer on the underside, and the CF with the spruce
>veneer was probably on the order of 1/8" thick or less.

According to the information on their site the _optional_ veneer is
maple and not spruce.  That would make sense, since a spruce veneer
would need to be quite thick in order not to look grey by
translucence.  Though the maple is denser its mass can be less than
that of the necessary thickness of spruce.

The veneering, including the glue, will add to the mass of the board
without much increasing its stiffness, so it would be better to
forget the cosmetic aspect until they discover a cream isotope of
carbon!

I disguised the nature of my first non-wood soundboard in order
simply to keep the secret from prying eyes, but I did it by faking a
wood grain with lacquer, and that was a complete success.

As to the (again optional?) soundboard bars, these are going to add a
huge increase the mass of the board by a large percentage while
increasing the stiffness only in one direction.  Theoretically, I
would think, this can do nothing but harm.  The traditional
soundboard has bars in order to equalize the stiffness of the board
across the grain with the natural stiffness along the grain in an
approach to an isotropic plate.  I presume the carbon fibre board is
roughly isotropic without any additions, so adding bars seems to me a
gross concession to cosmetics.

On Steingraeber's Facebook site there is a good recording of Franz
Liszt's Csárdás Obstiné, which I have listened to quite carefully a
couple of times.  Hard to judge all the qualities of a piano from
such a show-off piece but it sounds to me as if the bass is far too
heavy (like a Bösendorfer) and muddy, and  also as if the tone
quality is far less nuanced than one would expect from a good
Steinway.  If I were advertising my piano through this medium, I
would not choose such a piece of Liszt to show off its qualities.  A
well-chosen piece of Schumann of the same length would display all
its varied colours and be a great deal less annoying.

JD