[pianotech] Interested in work as an RPT

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 7 15:20:38 MDT 2010

Dennis,

What a great time you chimed in!

Correspondence courses are fine, but, if you do so, say, under the
direction of such, it is absolutely necessary that you connect with a
local RPT to get the hands on training and immediate feedback on your
work.  If you could find a local RPT that could train you-hands on-
personally, for 2 years, you could benefit from not spending thousands of
dollars for training ala outsourced areas, plus the costs of paying a
local technician for his/her time as well.

I'm not putting down correspondence type classes at all, as these work
great for certain situations, but, when you learn this craft, there is no
comparing that with a skilled technician looking over your shoulder as it
were.

I was fortunate to learn hands on from a very nationally reputable
technician and I would never, looking back, have wanted to learn
otherwise. I've now been in the business 20 years, and still learn
something every month from the old school guys at our chapter meetings!
:>)

Where are you? I might be able to hook you up with some RPT in your area
that could help.

Best of luck,

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician