[pianotech] Class in eye glasses for close-up work?

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:55:52 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Robert Scott <fixthatpiano at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I once did a mini-technical for our chapter meeting on how to specify and
> use special-purpose glasses for close-up work.  Consider that bifocals or
> progressive lenses are made for reading, so the close-up view is through the
> bottom of the glasses.  That does not always work out well.  Adjusting
> dampers on a grand especially comes to mind.  The class covered the basics
> of optical prescriptions and how they might apply to special-purpose
> glasses.  My only reservation is that the material might take much less than
> 1.5 hours to cover.  But if there is interest, I might find a way to fill it
> out.
>
> Robert Scott
> Ypsilanti, Michigan

I have used readers for several years now, my eye doc told me it was my
choice to either have bifocals made or buy readers 3or4 years ago. I get
them at the dollar stores & Goodwill for much less than the $15 to $20 at
most bigbox stores. I have several pairs in varying strengths for varying
tasks.
I'm wearing a pair now for use on the computer, I use a pair for tuning (I
switch them out with my bifocals I finally began wearing this year) I keep a
spare pair in my car & my wife's for emergencies. I have varying strength
pairs in the shop & have on occasion used 2 pair at once for VERY closeup
work (splinters). I also have safety glasses that have a bifocal
reader lense both clear & UV protected pairs.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service