[pianotech] WNG Parts Question(s)

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 17:30:35 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net>wrote:

>  David Love asked: "With all these issues, what's the overriding advantage
> in using them?"
>

> David,
> Omygawd, they're modern Technology! So,....that makes em' "da best",
> donchaknow??<G>
> Personally, I'm giving all of this stuff a wide berth and wait for all the
> flack to quit falling.<G>
> Two thoughts: 1. Shank flexibility is necessary for tone and repetition,
> IMHO. 2. Removing hammers, with a hollow tube for a shank, using traditional
> tools, would be pretty much impossible, IMHO.
> As for the Steinway "A" with these parts...that's about as far afield as it
> can get, to NOT being a Steinway. Not recommended for any resale situation,
> per most Dealers I know.
> Joe
>

> Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

I replaced a set of hammers shanks & flanges on a Yammie C5 in a high school
with a swimming pool in the same building.

My thought in going with the WN&G shanks & flanges was that they are
impervious to humidity & would probably last longer in a school situation
than wood partly because of the lack of humidity affecting them, partly
because they are lighter, fitted better due to being injection molded &
wouldn't wear as quickly.

My 2nd piano was also in a school, of old construction this time, cement,
cement & cinder block no A/C it was a 1920's Packard grand with pear shaped
knuckles & a very heavy touch. Her students were loath to play it it was so
heavy.
I found a standard knuckle by overlaying  the pear shaped knuckle w/flange
over the catalogue(Pianotec) pics of the various types of shank/flange until
one lined up. I then ordered the WN&G shanks & flanges, this time because
the school goes from very humid in spring, summer, fall, to very dry in
winter.
My experience with Dampp-Chaser's in public schools has not been stellar,
keeping them plugged in & maintained can be a nightmare. Unless I am asked,
I don't suggest them anymore after several bad experiences.
It has now been a year since I installed them in both & my problems have
been minor

I began on the Yamaha using the glue sent with the shanks by WN&G but I
wasn't satisfied with the results after a couple of octaves. I rebored & did
NOT use the recommended glue from WN&G. After consulting w/ their tech I
bored my hammers w/a larger bit to accommodate Franklin's Molding & Trim
glue which I have been using to hang hammers for several years now.

The Franklin's allows about 8 minutes working time to align or re-align if a
hammer isn't as straight as it first appeared, a heat gun(on low) directed
at the end joint(hammer head) will soften the Franklin's even days later for
alignment, should it be necessary, without affecting the integrity of the
glue or softening/noodling the shank.

I have had to reglue 4 hammers thus far, all were the hammers glued with the
other glue.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service