[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 23:31:55 MDT 2010

Just to add here.  It is sort of the board design or at minimum an
interaction between the two. Certainly the design is a factor.  I don't
always change the hitch pin array on the RC&S boards that I do and whereas a
CC board can tolerate a shorter backscale with relatively higher bearing,
the RC&S board doesn't in that situation, or at least it doesn't sound as
good as it could--I suppose it does "tolerate" it.  Similarly, where a CC
board doesn’t sound as good without adequate bearing, an RC&S board with a
short backscale will sound better with minimal bearing, at least that's what
I find.  Bottom line, FWIW, I would recommend that if one is doing an RC&S
board with traditional backscale lengths that the bearing should not be set
in the traditional way.  Only minimal bearing is required through the scale.
(An adjustable plate mounting system is very helpful here.)  With longer
backscale lengths I've still found that less bearing is better, at least on
the boards that I'm doing.  However, it might be worth noting that I believe
the weighting of our boards might be somewhat different.  I think my rib
scales are a bit lighter than yours.  That too might make a difference.  Not
sure.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

That differs considerably from my findings. As long as the
back scale is long, no tuned rear duplex, the difference
between 0.3° and 1.5°+ is negligible tonally. These things
aren't nearly as bearing critical as conventional boards. I've
set the bass on a couple of pianos at near 0°, and increased
it to about 1.5° with no apparent penalty. Likewise, I've set
the tenor and treble at about 0.3° or less (near zero) and
again at 0.75°-2° with little appreciable change in the sound,
if any. With a short back scale, I would agree with your
numbers. But that's the back scale, not the board design.

My take.
Ron N