[pianotech] Downbearing on RC&S designs was RE: Steingraeber

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:31:14 MDT 2010

  On 7/8/2010 1:31 AM, David Love wrote:
>   I think my rib
> scales are a bit lighter than yours.  That too might make a difference.  Not
> sure.
As in all other aspects of piano work, RC&S is not a monolithic
description of a single approach, ie, David's and Ron's experience of
the tonal effects of their designs intersect but also deviate in  some
significant ways.

If there were a way that would not jeopardize proprietary info, I think
it would be highly useful to collect and sort through the varied
experience of people working their own approaches to the RC&S concept to
confirm common trends and combine the communal intelligence.

For instance, I think I have a reasonable idea how Ron defines stiffness
throughout the scale, but I'm completely guessing on Davids definition
of stiffness. I get the feeling David's radii are larger than  Ron's,
and calculated rib loading is less than Rons. Without specifics though
the communication is somewhat limited.  It there were some way to share
specifics(and I'm not sure how to do this without giving away
proprietary stuff) I think the combined empirical intelligence which
could come out of these discussions could be substantial.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for here...I wonder if it would be useful
and instructive to design a panel discussion specific to RC&S  for  the
convention?  Since it would clearly be defined as specific to RC&S
concepts, and moderated to keep on that topic, we could avoid the head
butting regarding CC vs RC&S ad nauseum and focus on combining the
knowledge & experience of RC&S concepts which have been collecting
independently in our shops.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio