[pianotech] Hammer tapering methods?

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 13:35:04 MDT 2010

Kurt where do you live? I have a table saw available - *cheap*. I live in Issaquah, Washington. ☺ For tapering un-hung hammers, I think the Spurlock method is absolutely the best way to go. The blade should run true, which means it should not wobble on its axis, and be squared up to the table. But any decent, even cheap, saw should be able to handle that requirement. You do not use a fence in the cutting operation using Spurlock’s method, so no need to worry about longitudinal straight lines at a distance as you would if cross cuts of any significance were involved, necessitating accurate fence alignment, and hence a more costly saw. Although having a really nice table saw is always great when immersing oneself in woodworking in the shop! Your call and budget considerations. My dedicated set up worked great in my hammer hanging days. Hammers looked fabulous after the cuts and none of that burned or bled-out-in-the-felt look you get when using a sanding device. Of course, common sense would dictate you use a sharp blade – I did use a fine tooth cabinet saw blade with the resulting excellent hammer appearance characteristics. I have the Spurlock jig for sale, too!

Hope that helps!

Joseph Alkana  RPT (Retired)

  _____