[pianotech] Hammer tapering methods?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jul 8 10:29:33 MDT 2010

kurt baxter wrote:
> In the past I have tapered hammers on a belt sander, last time using a
> jig I fashioned for use on the WNG hammer tail arcing jig base.
>
> My problems with this method:
> Although it works great for tail-only tapering, it is awkward to taper
> the entire hammer. (and seems rather... wavy)
> Staining. I hate the look of the dark wood dust that gets ground into
> the felt, and won't go away even with compressed air.
>
> I like the idea of the Spurlock jig, except that I don't own a table
> saw. I also have concerns that a table saw in my price range would not
> be stable and precise enough.

> What has been your experience with the Spurlock jig?

I built my own jig, considerably different, but similar in
principle. It, and the Spurlock jig work very well.

>Does the quality of table saw matter?

Within reason, probably not, but I'd think you would
eventually need a decent table saw anyway. As an alternative
approach, WN&G use a pneumatic clamping system and a power
planer riding on a sled. They do two hammers at once, side one
on the first, and side two on the second. Very quick and easy.
It can be made adjustable for full taper, or just tails. You
can get a decent enough planer for around $100.

Ron N