[pianotech] Hammer tapering methods?

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 16:22:31 MDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft <
AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  When I started with the Spurlock hammer tapering jig, I used a small $50
> table saw and it worked great. You will never use a sander for tapering the
> hammers again.
>
> Al -
> High Point, NC

I have to agree with Al, I use my contractor saw but a cheap saw w/ a
quality blade will work. The way to keep a blade running true on ANY saw is
to use a dampener, a thicker  piece of metal smaller in diameter than the
blade that is bolted to the arbor with the blade.
See http://www.forrestblades.com/online_catalog.htm
They're expensive but you can see what I mean, I found a blade for less
money w/ a dampener in a bigbox builder store.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service