[pianotech] Rise of the Makerbots

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 22:03:50 MDT 2010

I watched more video of the Makerbot at http://makerbot.com/ I would guess
the problem for piano parts is the objects that its "prints" are not smooth
but appear to have slight ridges. This seems to be due to the "resolution"
of the printer. Of course this could be overcome with a little filing, and
refining.

The objects are made of ABS plastic, the same stuff some piano parts are
already made of (and Legos too!) so I think the strength would not be an
issue. Once you have the machine, the plastic to feed into the device is
very cheap making it very cost effective.

I'll put it on my Christmas list!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter